Monday, October 26, 2015

Book Review: Genderqueer and Other Gender Identities


I am going through my library looking for areas in need of some attention. I realized I had no titles on the topic of gender fluidity or genderqueer identities. I had to do something! So I bought books, of course. Including this one.

Genderqueer and Other Gender Identities is a photography book by Dave Naz. The book was published in 2014 by Rare Bird Books.

The book is 128 pages of full page color photography. The portraits are shot on a grey background where the features, fashions, and essence of the figures seize the spotlight. Most of the photos feature people who are fully clothed though some portraits feature people in various stages of undress and a few fully nude figures.

The author offers an introduction explaining some of the nuances of the project, including the decision on how to title the book.

There are also six personal essays throughout the book that dissect individual gender identity and journeys in gender fluidity.

I find this book very informative. The photography has an edge of style that does not overwhelm the emotion of the people pictured. An eye for detail emphasizes certain features and attitudes. Each model has a unique tone on the overall collection.

I am more than happy to have this book in my collection. I think it will add a splendid dimension to sexuality book talks I give to audiences with a range of interest and exposure to issues in sexuality and body identity. Having a photography book means I can get information to people and spark conversations in another medium besides written content.  

This book has a happy, permanent home on my bookshelf, and expands the value of my collection in a truly unique way. Some links of interest to this book are listed below:

No comments:

Post a Comment