Monday, July 20, 2015

Book Review: Eight Things I Wish I'd Known About Polyamory (Before I Tried It and Frakked It Up)

 
If you are in or are looking into an open relationship or Polyamory, I’m excited to recommend this book. Eight Things I Wish I’d Known About Polyamory (Before I Tried It and Frakked It Up) is written by Cunning Minx, the host of the podcast Polyamory Weekly which you can check out here.

The podcast Polyamory Weekly is a wealth of great discussions on Poly and Open topics. Recent episodes include Poly marriage legalization, money matters, and metamour fears.  

The book is a great supplement to the podcast and a handy little item to have in my arsenal of resources on living in an open relationship.

The book is short, 84 pages in print, but what it lacks in length it makes up for in quality. I genuinely love that every page of this book contains a gem of information or spot-on advice. Other shorter manuals on Polyamory have failed in this respect. So, if you are looking for a solid resource on Poly living without wading through a huge tome, this is definitely the book to look into.

The book includes such lessons as “Communication is a Journey,” “Make Guidelines, Not Rules,” and “New Relationship Energy is Fun.” Most of these things are covered in other Polyamory books, but I feel the author does take the conversation to the next level. Her understanding of living in a Poly relationship as well as her knowledge of a diverse range of Poly experiences shines through in the text.

The thing that stands out is her recommendation and outline for creating your own User Manual. She brings to attention how your family background and how you are turned on emotionally and physically are important in exploring partners and making good matches.

Overall, this book contains a plethora of starting points to get the conversation rolling with yourself, current partners, and potential partners. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Cunning Minx is a great sex educator. We need many more sex educators like Cunning Minx and Leandra Vane. The world would be a much better place. Reading is one of the most powerful tools to opening the mind. That's why librarians make great lovers. The earlier we get kids to read the better place the world will be. All people need to do is point to the words as you read. It's that simple. For my part I am tackling sex education through art. Using classic art and erotic paintings from an historic era of art along with female oriented sexuality blogs like this one which I will add to my collection. http://www.femme-classic-art.com
    I notice you have an Australian blog address (.com.au) It will effect your Google rankings a little bit. Yes I am Australian. :)

    ReplyDelete