Monday, January 19, 2015

Book Review: Beyond Orgasm



When I picked up “Beyond Orgasm: Dare to be Honest About the Sex You Really Want” by Dr. Marty Klein, I thought I was in for a general sexuality guide book. What I found was one of my new favorite sexuality books.

I found this book to be extremely accessible for readers. The formatting is clean and the text is spaced nicely. The smaller trim size also allows for the book to not appear overwhelming at first glance. There are black and white photos at the beginnings of chapters, but they are not distracting.

The premise of the book is not a “how-to” manual or sex guide but rather a move to understand and overcome sexual secrecy. There are no anatomy diagrams, and though the topics are discussed throughout, there are no “token” chapters on communication, affairs, or arousal. The book represents sexuality as a whole, and debunks myths surrounding perfect or “normal” sexuality.

As individuals and a society, we keep sexual secrets all the time, and this really gets in the way of having satisfying sex. Whether it is faking orgasms, faking interest, lying about our pasts, fantasies, feelings, or having sex with the lights out, most of us can recount at least a few sexual secrets of our own.

What I liked about the book is that Klein offers a way to explore and understand secrecy so we can genuinely confront these secrets. A whole chapter is dedicated to exploring why we hold sexual secrets in the first place, and another evaluates the high cost of this secrecy in our relationships. The author also points out tools and resources we have that will allow us to share these secrets safely, so we can grow and accept our sexuality.

The author also uses examples from his work as a therapist to realistically illustrate his points. I like that while some people were able to reveal their secrets to their partners, others were not. I think this shows that working through sexual shame and secrecy will not necessarily work out in an ideal way, but is a very important step. Most of the examples who were not able to reveal their secrets were still able to accept parts of themselves and move on to a healthier way of living.

Since deception can be (well, is) a major part of so many sexual relationships, I also appreciated the chapter on deliberate deception. Sometimes we are not aware of why we deceive ourselves or our partners, but sometimes we are very aware. I think this topic gets overlooked in other sexuality books, and was refreshing to read.

Overall I highly recommend this book. It is down to earth without being judgmental, honest without being harsh. As a seasoned unlaced librarian I have read many a sex book, yet I learned new things and found new perspective in this book. Yet I would be more than happy to recommend this title if it is the very first sexuality book you are going to read. I highly recommend this book to couples and people with body acceptance struggles.

The book has a happy, permanent home on my bookshelf…. Maybe even my night stand!

I did a video review of this book, posted below. You can visit the author’s website here.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading science texts. I read quite a few of them, although very rarely do I read books on human sexuality.

    Some things are just better appreciated from hands-on experience than from reading a book.

    ReplyDelete