Monday, August 18, 2014

Book Review: The Mistress Manual: The Good Girl's Guide to Female Dominance


I must confess that I become quite melancholy this time of year because I dreadfully miss going "back to school." But this time around, I almost felt like I was back in school because I had this book. Mistress Lorelei Powers has such a wonderfully authoritative and insightful voice with just enough snark, charm, and wit. I truly felt as though I were her pupil completing some very important homework as I studied this text.

Though I am involved in BDSM on some levels my interests rest mostly in fetishes rather than power exchange. So I admit that I consumed this book as a reader just as much as I did a sex blogger. And the experience was delightful.

This book is the perfect length and quite reader friendly. There is a lot of information packed into this manual, but it is enjoyable to peruse a second or third time and great to have as a reference.

The first part of the book addresses many concepts and issues in female dominance. What if you are reluctant to take the dominant role? How does a couple maintain a balance between fantasy and reality in their relationship? What is the core of domestic discipline fantasies and how does it compare to the leather community? These questions and more are addressed.

The second part of the book discusses taking action: establishing your Authority, planning and enacting sessions, techniques and of course tools of the trade.

The third part of the book is an overview of the five archetypal fantasies in female dominance: The Nursemaid, the Governess, the Queen, the Amazon, and the Goddess. Ideas are given for props, costumes and effective methods of punishment and exerting control.

Overall I thought this book was a fantastic introduction written in a way that is quite reader friendly and inspiring to a hopeful practitioner of female dominance. The publisher, Greenery Press, has a plethora of other titles in the realm of kink and sexuality. I will most definitely be picking up more titles from them to read and review.

So, perhaps I need not remember my school days with a sad air of whimsy, but fill my back pack with titles like The Mistress Manual: The Good Girl's Guide to Female Dominance  and perhaps a hairbrush, paddle, and strop and thus take kink tutelage into my own hands. The school year has just begun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment