Friday, March 28, 2014

Book Review: Bottoms Up, Spanking Good Stories


"Bottoms Up: Spanking Good Stories" edited by Rachel Kramer Bussel is one of the spanking erotica anthologies released by Cleis Press. This one was published in 2009.

Picking up an anthology of short stories that focused specifically on spanking felt like a gamble to me. I was worried the stories might be repetitive, or worse, cheese-tastic. But I love (love!) Cleis Press so I went ahead and bought this collection and am happy to report I was not disappointed.


There was plenty of variety... men spanking women, women with men over her knees, women belting women, men thwacking men. Each of the stories had a unique angle. No one was like another.

Many of the stories drew the characters vivid and real, while others left a lot to the imagination, I would wager so the reader could insert themselves into the story. A couple of the stories frustrated me... I couldn't quite believe the turn of events, even through my rosy-red-cheeked glasses.


Overall, however, I was impressed with the range of emotion set forth in the pieces. For readers looking for a quick thrill this book might not work out so well. Rather than becoming hot and bothered by many of the stories, I was left introspective of how the story tripped a memory or emotion of my own. More often I was left speculative of where the characters would go, or what the authors had been through to come up with the stories, fictitious though they may be.


The best stories in the collection had a balance of both kink and depth. Edgy titillation that cut with wit, humor, and a tingle of darkness.


Five authors whose stories stayed with me were: Tess Danesi, Simon Sheppard, Tenille Brown, Stan Kent, and Zille Defeu.


In many ways I felt more connected to the pieces than in more main stream erotica I've read. And I really appreciated that aspect, especially on a topic that many might think base or immature. I encourage anyone into kink or a specific fetish to check out erotica anthologies of this kind. Cleis Press offers others in the spanking genre as well as other aspects of kink. I will be checking into more of those in the future.

This kinky librarian certainly recommends this collection. This book has a permanent home on my shelf!

1 comment:

  1. Have you checked some of the self published e-books at Amazon. Many are 95 cents and most all are under five dollars. Many are about swinging and wife swapping but I am sure there are many more if I just looked. These are for Kindle. I have not bought a hard back in years.

    ReplyDelete